Saturday, March 28, 2015

Love Child: Valentine's Day

ICE FISHING POLES…AND OTHER UNUSUAL V-DAY GIFTS

It’s that time of year when I start dropping all kinds of crazy hints to my Love Joy about romantic Valentine’s Day gift ideas. I’m really over boxes of chocolates (I mean, I’ll takeone if I have to, wink, wink), and champagne leaves me flat after the first glass. Saying that I really appreciate a well thought out and consciously planned gift, something unusual and very, very different usually gets his gears going. He’s good that way.
Pretty vintage girl ice fishing
Why, just recently he came through with a most interesting thank you gift – an ice fishing pole. Now, what’s a fashionista living in the middle of New York City doing with an ice fishing pole? Probably nothing. Although, with the weather we’ve been having, I can almost see myself dolled up in my Liebeskind leather Chelsea boots with my leopard-print Traveler bag doubling as a tackle box, traipsing out to the iced-over Hudson River to score the Big One. Almost being the operative word.
I knew where he was coming from with this present, though. We’d just returned from the frigid northern Midwest – think something like Fargo – where they do things like that. And I will confess, it’s a not-so-subtle reminder of our loving trip together. I remember how we held mittens hiking through the woodsy surroundings, spotted a winter owl and tracked foxes in the snow before snuggling back to warmth in front of our B&B’s fireplace.
The fishing pole now sits in my office, an unusual token of his love for me, a realization that while we always may not be able to do the crazy things we want to on a daily basis, that dream is out there. And I know I will accept and love him for whatever kind of appreciation he wants to show me this Valentine’s Day. But I do hope it’s not a coordinating ice-fishing gift like crampons.
What’s the most unusual gift YOU have ever been gifted?